Michael J. O'Hara
Crestview Hills, Kentucky
Michael J. O'Hara was admitted to practice in 1975 and is currently a Partner with the Firm. Michael has represented both individuals and businesses in a wide range of matters relating to employee and employer rights and responsibilities under State and Federal laws including gender, race, religion, ethnicity, and disability discrimination cases. He also regularly represents survivors of abuse and police misconduct. Michael focuses his practice in the areas of employment discrimination, civil rights, and commercial law.
Michael was born in Lexington, Kentucky and grew up in Northern Kentucky. He is married and has two daughters. Michael currently lives in Cincinnati with his wife, Glenda Harrison, who is also an attorney and currently serves as the Executive Director of Kentucky Access to Justice Commission. He has been actively involved with volunteer lawyer programs in both Kentucky and Ohio.
Areas of Practice
- Federal and State wage and hour violations
- Employment discrimination
- Civil Rights
- First amendment
- Police misconduct
- Personal injury
- Clergy and school sexual abuse
- Commercial business and litigation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Kentucky, 1975
- Ohio, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1975
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - December 1974
- University of Dayton
- B.A. - May 1971
- Enoch v. Ham. Co. Sheriff’s Office, 2019 WL 1755966 (S.D. Ohio April 19, 2019) (appeal to 6th Circuit filed May 9, 2019).
- Enoch v. Ham. Co. Sheriff’s Office, 728 Fed.Appx. 448 (6th Cir. 2018).
- Enoch v. Ham. Co. Sheriff’s Office, 2017 WL 2210515 (S.D. Ohio May 18, 2017).
- Stein v. HHGREGG, Inc., 873 F.3d 523 (6th Cir. 2017)
- Kentucky Equality Federation v. Beshear, Franklin Circuit Court, Case No. 13-CI-01074 (Ky. April 16, 2015).
- Enoch v. Hogan, 728 Fed.Appx.448 (6th Cir. 2018).
- Core Medical, LLC v. Schroeder, 2010 WL 2867820 (Ky. App. 2010).
- Moore v. Mitchell, 531 F.Supp.2d 845 (S.D. Ohio 2008).
- Bd. of Educ. of Erlanger-Elsmere Sch. Dist. v. Code, 57 S.W.3d 820 (Ky. 2001).
- Hoffman v. Honda of America Mfg., 200 F.R.D. 370 (S.D. Ohio 2000).
- Flagner v. Wilkinson, 241 F.3d 475 (6th Cir. 2000).
- Diocese of Covington v. Secter, 966 S.W.2d 286 (Ky. App. 1998).
- E.J. v. Hamilton County, Ohio, 707 F.Supp.314 (S.D. Ohio 1989).
- Bjorkman v. Protestant Episcopal Church in U.S. of American Diocese of Lexington, KY, 759 S.W.2d 583 (Ky. 1988).
- Bishop v. Reagan-Bush '84 Committee, 819 F.2d 289 (6th Cir. 1987).
- Doe v. Staples, 706 F.2d 985 (6th Cir. 1983).
- Young v. Whitworth, 522 F.Supp. 759 (Southern District Ohio 1981).
- Speaker, Employment Law and Discrimination, Civil Rights and Class Actions
Honors and Awards
- Volunteer Lawyer of the Year, 1997
- Andrew Dennison, Courageous Advocate of the Year, Awarded by the Potter Stewart Inn of Court, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006
- Super Lawyer (Kentucky), Labor and Employment Law, 2008 - 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV ® rated attorney
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Kentucky Employment Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor, Northern Kentucky, Board of Directors, 1995 - Present
- VLP Board, Former Chair
- Cincinnati Volunteer Lawyers, Volunteer Lawyer
- Northern Kentucky Volunteer Lawyers, Volunteer Lawyer
- Kentucky Bar Association Attorney Advertising Commission, Former Member, and Former Chair
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor, Northern Kentucky, former Chair of the VLP Board, 1995 - Present
- Volunteer Lawyer, Cincinnati Volunteer Lawyers
- Volunteer Lawyer, Northern Kentucky Volunteer Lawyers
- Past Member and Past Chair of the Kentucky Bar Association Attorney Advertising Commission