Gary J. Sergent
Crestview Hills, Kentucky
Gary J. Sergent, of counsel with O'Hara, Taylor, Sloan & Cassidy, represents parties in general civil matters including personal injury, professional negligence, workers' compensation, and business and property disputes. In criminal matters, he represents individuals and organizations in complex drug, white-collar, and financial crimes. He takes such cases in Federal and state courts. His experience as a litigator makes him well suited to resolve cases through negotiation, mediation, plea bargaining, or trial. He has also served as a mediator in civil disputes and is frequently sought out as a mentor by other attorneys in the area. He currently limits his practice to Kentucky.
Gary was born in Hamilton, Ohio, but considers himself a "transplanted Appalachian," as his family is from Harlan, Kentucky. He has lived in Northern Kentucky since 1961. He married Durinda in 1974 and they have three adult children and six grandchildren. In addition to professional and family activities, his personal interests include music, reading (history and theology), old cars (Studebakers and Corvettes), and antique advertising.
- Member of the firm, 1979 to 2016
- Member of Management Committee, 1995 to 2008
- Managing Partner, 2009 through 2016
- General Litigation Practice Emphasizing Insurance Coverage Disputes, Personal Injury, Professional Negligence and Federal Criminal Defense.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense - Federal
- Workers' Compensation
- General Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Coverage
- Professional Negligence and Licensing
- Kentucky, 1979
- Ohio, 1980 (license is inactive as of 09/01/2019)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1993
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- J.D. - 1979
- Northern Kentucky State College
- B.A. - 1976
- United States v. Manning, 652 Fed. Appx. 397 (6th Cir. 2016)
- Bonds v. Walton Verona Independent Board of Education, 2016 WL 11432140 (E.D. Ky. Feb. 20,2016).
- Brown v. Conway, 32 N.E.3d 531 (1st Dist. Ham. Co. 2015)
- Bulldog's Enterprises v. Duke Energy, 412 S.W.3d 210 (Ky.Ct.App. 2013).
- The Estate of Dennis Martin v. The Cincinnati Gas & Electric Company, 561 F.3d 439 (6th Cir. 2009).
- Progressive Specialty Insurance Co. v. Burke, 91 F. Appx.415 (6th Cir. 2004).
- United States v. Bearden, 274 F.3d 1031 (6th Cir. 2001).
- United States v. Doe, 226 F.3d 672 (6th Cir. 2000).
- Berkenshaw v. The Union Light, Heat & Power Company, 987 F.2d 383 (6th Cir. 1993) and 889 S.W.2d 804 (KY. 1994).
- United States Fire Insurance Co. v. Ohio High School Athletic Association, 71 Ohio App.3d 760 (1st Dist. Ct.App. 1991).
- City of Florence v. Owen County Electrical Coop Inc., 823 S.W.2d 876 (Ky. 1992).
- State Farm Fire & Casualty Insurance Company v. Aulick, 781 S.W.2d 531 (Ky. App. 1989).
- Schwalbach v. Forrest Lawn Memorial Park, 687 S.W.2d 551 (Ky. App. 1985).
Honors and Awards
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association Distinguished Lawyer of the Year, 2018
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association Lifetime Achievement Award, 2008
- Martindale Hubbell “AV” Rated
- Recognized as “Super Lawyer” in General Litigation, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 and in Worker’s Compensation 2018 and to present.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kentucky Bar Association
- 6th Circuit Pattern Jury Instruction Committee (Criminal), Member, 1989 - 2013
- Kentucky Continuing Legal Education Commission, Member, 2000 - 2006
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Board Member, Treasurer, Secretary, Vice President, and President, 1998 - 2009
- Federal Public Defender Panel for the United States District Court at Covington, Eastern District of Kentucky-Northern Division, Resource Counsel, 1980 - 2014
- Current Member of the Board of Governors of the Kentucky Bar Association